Thursday, January 31, 2008

Geographically challenged


I am geographically challenged, I know this about myself; my friends know this about me. Believe me, had you rode in the car with me in Dallas you would know this about me as well. (How many times can I say that I am sorry yall… it was those one way streets, but some of it was me). Yes I can follow directions as long as you give me landmarks and street signs. As long as I have those I can get there. But do not tell me to turn east or west. I need you to say “take a left at the McDonalds, go down to the third redlight and make a right.” When you use east in west, I have to figure out which way east and west are…

Then I am challenged with knowing where other places in the world are. Yeah not so good at this either. I once had Portugal and Peru confused. My point was that they both started with a “P”; never mind that they are on different continents. Yada, yada, yada…

Anyway that brings me to my Diva. I had no idea that this was a hereditary thing that I passed to her. As you know, she and I have been reading Harry Potter. Her question was why she can’t visit the places in Harry Potter. I told her we might could one day, but they are in England. She wrinkled her brow and asked “Is that up in Alabama somewhere?” I shook my head, kissed her on the forehead and said “no honey it’s another country and continent as well.”

She looked at me and said “how should I know these things I am six and you have not taught them to me yet.”

That’s when I realized I handed the geographically challenged gene down to her. Oh well what can I do??? I will make sure she actually pays attention in 9th grade Geography!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry. I'm not laughing. Maybe a little. I, too, share this predicament though I have mediocre U.S. geography. I don't know capitals. When it comes to the world, I'm sunk though. I once failed a test like total ZERO because I got my latitude and longitude mixed up. The only thing that saved me was this was the only test my mother acted as my study buddy. She taught me totally wrong. To this day, I don't know the difference. I think it is handed down (well, you know, through adoption, too).

    ReplyDelete